Parents, Why Let Your Kids Join Reality Check?
Reality Check is an adult-guided, youth-driven component of the statewide Advancing Tobacco-Free Communities program. Our goal is to expose the advertising and marketing practices of the tobacco industry — and by doing so, prevent today’s youth from smoking and using tobacco.
Your child will play a vital role in achieving this goal by speaking out against tobacco companies and speaking up for living in a tobacco-free environment. He or she will have the opportunity to travel within NY state to speak with local and state legislators, participate in local community events to educate key stakeholders and community members and attend a three-day youth summit. These experiences will enhance your child’s public speaking, leadership and problem solving skills which can help when applying for college, scholarships and jobs. But most importantly, your child can gain confidence, self-awareness and a feeling of empowerment as well as:
- insight to how the media impacts people’s beliefs, attitudes and behaviors
- a better understanding of the workings of local and state government
- the ability to work with people with opposing views, sometimes in challenging situations
- a greater sense of how they are a vital part of change
- the aptitude to convince others to take action